Saturday, January 22, 2011

There's a Whole Lot More Throwing, Than Just Winning...

Have you ever felt like you’re the lousiest person around? Or maybe just the weakest amongst your competitors. Well it doesn’t really matter. Everyone needs to have their own time and space. Of course, there will be people who are better than you in certain areas. If not, how would the world go round? Everywhere there’s bound to be leaders, champions or legends. That doesn’t mean you’re not useful just because you’re not one of them. Today, something depressing happened to me. But in the end, the lesson, I have learnt.
On the way to Gombak Stadium, I prayed hard to do well. I knew I could do it and I really hoped that I could perform. But it all wasn’t meant to be. The Discus Throwing competition started and we took our throws. There were 7 competitors. The number is small for a competition like that, but no underestimations to be made. After my first throw, my wrist got a little twist, thus giving me a massive disadvantage. For the next 5 throws we’re given, it looked like I’m just a rookie. My facial expression was priceless. Very much contrasting to the other throwers who were having fun. I ended up in last place. 7th. My hopes just drowned. I didn’t dare say a word. Luckily the Catholic High thrower who got 1st place talked to me and understood my disadvantage. Well, he’s a nice guy. It’s the results I felt unhappy about…
After the session, Mr Sng came and talked to us. Like I’ve predicted, he came and asked what happened to me. And mind you, that’s the very first thing he said to me. So I just listened to whatever he said. To be honest I was just too disappointed at myself. Then came a wise old man. He spoke to the three of us – me, Jerry and Anthony.

“Train hard all of you. Everything can be done only by yourself. If you want it, it’s there for the taking. Coach is there just to guide you but if you don’t want it, or have that ‘I don’t care’ attitude, forget it. Ask yourself, do you want it? And if you came here to compete, that’s one problem you have to correct first. The purpose of coming here is to learn. It’s about the experience. Well I have to go. Good luck to all of you and train hard.”

Well that’s the gist of what he said and I still remember it. Upon hearing whatever he said, I just stood there thinking. What was I there for? As I walked out of the stadium and to the MRT station, I realized I had the wrong perception of the word ‘competition’. Yes there is the word ‘compete’ in it, but that’s not always the case. To be better, experience and learning is part of the long and tough road. No wonder there are great leaders in the world. They surely have some inspirations from leaders before them. Well, it’s all part and parcel of being the best. And I mean the best of yourself. The only one you have to beat, is yourself. That’s the only was one can feel the success. As I travelled home, I felt happier because I learnt something very meaningful. That old man… I still haven’t got him off my mind.
Okay I have to complete my OPW project now. That moment shall stay locked in my mind. Competition doesn’t mean competing with others, it just means competing with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment